May is wonderful, right? The birds are singing, the sun has started to emerge, and your local has stopped trying to make their ma’s home-cooked broth a thing, and embraced generic summer salads instead.
It’s also possibly the end of evenings spent like this. Yes, hibernation is well and truly over, folks. (Although who are we kidding, achieving that dog’s level of productivity is a year-round endeavour.)
To kick-start June, which will hopefully see us properly emerging from our bedrooms, we have created a lovely little list of our latest discoveries. Enjoy!
1. If you’re in need of some tough love to boot you out of that dressing gown and into ninja territory, you may need some reading material to get your head in the game. Enter this handy little list, which promises to deliver books which will “expand your sense of possibility” (i.e. help you maximise your morning routines and daily commutes). The list features some more obvious titles (Marie Kondo is listed), but there were also quite a few that were new to us, so chances are they might be to you as well.
2. Of course, Harry Styles’ new album was released this month, but we were most excited about the moment when he brought out Stevie Nicks during one of his shows and then they dueted (is that a verb?) with “Landslide“. It really is very, very good and we have video evidence to prove it. Watch it here.
3. Forget your typical post-apocalyptic prophecies, this video by Exurb1a tells us all we need to know about how the 21st century is going to unfold. Who knew that tea tree shower gel would feature so prominently in our futures?
4. The Practice is a podcast that you may have dipped in and out of before, but in case you missed it first time around, make sure you check out Sarah Bessey’s powerful reflection on faith, doubt and hope in the middle of life’s questions and trials.
5. Do you like conspiracy theories? Are you terrible at spotting celebrity lookalikes? If so, you’re gonna want to read this list of 19 celebrity conspiracy theories. It will blow your mind.
6. Simon Sinek, whose TED Talk is the third most-watched of all time, was in London in May and had a fascinating conversation on leadership with Reggie Yates. As always, it’s thought-provoking, challenging and inspirational stuff. Watch the Facebook Live here – it’s a goodie!
7. If you’re looking for a new gospel tune to wrap your ears around, this performance by Kirk Franklin and friends at the Stellar Awards this year is absolutely stunning. Take a look.
8. GMB Akash has been described as “South Asia’s HONY” and you can see why. Powerful and often heart-breaking stories and beautiful images of extraordinary people are shared by Akash, a Bangladeshi documentary photographer, on his Facebook page: including the incredible story shared by Idris, below. There’s just no words to describe how beautiful this is. Read Idris’ story here.